What is Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP?
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) – uses your own cells and your body’s natural growth factors to revitalise your skin, promote natural collagen formation, and to rejuvenate your youthful appearance. Platelet-Rich Plasma, or PRP, otherwise known as the Vampire Facelift, is hitting the world by storm. New Zealand and Australian doctors and nurses are at the top in the world for cosmetic PRP.
Stacey is the national trainer in New Zealand, so at Beautiphi you receive the latest techniques available with this treatment. You can use Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) to rejuvenate ANY area of the body. It is used to treat ageing skin all over the body, including knees, thighs, arms, and stomachs – it is SAFE to use anywhere, as it is a ‘body-own’ physiological product.
Which areas can be treated with Platelet-Rich Plasma:
- Crinkling skin around the eyes, cheeks & midface
- Chest and decolletage
- The neck
- The backs of the hands and arms, where we really show ageing
- Wrinkling arms
- The sexual areas of incontinence and sexual performance issues.
- Hair loss
How is the treatment performed?
The Platelet-Rich Plasma procedure involves drawing some of your own blood (like in a blood test), centrifuging it (spinning it very fast for about 8 minutes), so that it separates into the red blood cells and the plasma platelets. The rich platelets are then extracted and injected into your skin. This is done with a series of small injections into differing planes of the skin to get different effects of lifting and skin improvement or with our specialist U225 gun, which can make treatments more comfortable with its NASA technology.
With our experienced injectors, you will get very little bruising. Usually, only a little swelling and slight redness will occur, and you can go to work with nobody the wiser. On your second treatment, it is nice to finish with a Dermal Needling and stem cell serum, to get a double-whammy effect. This can be discussed at your consultation. Beautiphi nurses love to work holistically, from all angles, to give your skin the most effective results.
How many PRP treatments do you need?
We recommend 3 treatments, 4-6 weeks apart, then booster treatments every 6-12 months. The entire process and injection time is simple and takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour in total. The process is performed in one day and at our clinic.
PRP is rich with your own platelets, stem cells, and growth factors. Once injected into your skin, these substances will accelerate the normal healing process via new collagen formation at the injected area. This process brings long-lasting tissue rejuvenation by your own cells.
PRP has been widely used for many years in cosmetic surgery, dentistry, soft tissue implants, and other types of implants.
How long do effects of PRP last?
Depending on the health and age of your skin, you usually need about 3 treatments, 4 weeks apart. This is followed by touch-up treatments to maintain results, and although results may vary, most patients’ results will last for up to 18 months.
Results are not immediate – initially, you will see and feel swelling from the fluid, and then once the swelling has subsided, you may see some fantastic hydrating effects, then this tapers off to looking like nothing much at all.
Over a few weeks, however, the platelets will stimulate the growth factors which will assist in more collagen growth, and over the ensuing months there will be more improvement in texture, tone, and lift, depending on what we are working towards.
How much does PRP treatment cost?
We change about $550 per vial – you need at least 2 vials for your whole face, and 2 for the neck.
When using our special U225 gun we will add $500 to the treatment for the use of the gun.
Who will benefit from Platelet-Rich Plasma treatment?
- Anyone with crêpe-like skin, anywhere on the body, between the ages of 20 and 80.
- The treatment is suitable for all skin tones.
- This treatment helps with hair restoration.
- This treatment is effective in people suffering from incontinence and sexual issues.
- You can replenish some volume in the face.
- The treatment is safe for pregnant women and breastfeeding patients are also eligible.
- The treatment is NOT suitable for advanced wrinkling and severe scarring.
- Results may not be very effective for patients who smoke or consume excessive alcohol or drugs because PRP quality is poor in such patients.
What are the side-effects of this PRP treatment?
- There are NO risks of allergic reaction because PRP uses your own body’s products.
- Minimal swelling, bruising and redness for 12-24 hours.
- There may be a bruise at the puncture site, which could be visible for 2-3 days.
Who cannot have the treatment?
The treatment is NOT suitable for patients who have any of the following conditions:
- Low platelet count
- Platelet Dysfunction Syndrome
- Critical Thrombocytopenia
- Acute and chronic infections
- Chronic liver pathology
The treatment is also NOT suitable for patients who are undergoing:
- Anticoagulation therapy (Warfarin, Aspirin)