More Technical Information about PRP
February 1, 2010 Written by Beautiphi - 0 Comments
Platelet Rich Plasma –
This technique serves as a catalyst for stem cell proliferation, which helps the growth of cell populations.
PRP is a revolutionary method, based on using ingredients of your own blood, which can regenerate your skin. These ingredients reside within the fraction of your blood named “Platelet Rich Plasma” (PRP). PRP is enriched with platelets, stem cells and growth factors. Once injected into your skin, these substances will accelerate the normal healing process via new collagen formation at the injected area. This process brings to long-lasting tissue rejuvenation by your own cells. PRP has been widely used for many years in plastic surgery, orthopaedics, dentistry, soft tissue implants, and other types of implants.
10 to 20 minutes prior to treatment, your physician will draw 10 to 20 millilitres of your blood, using a standard procedure, causing minimal pain (like taking a standard blood test). Thereafter, he will separate the blood into its ingredients, in a procedure that will last 10-20 minutes. PRP is injected below the surface of the skin in the area of fat loss and/or wrinkles. It provides a gradual increase in skin thickness. Visible results appear after the first treatment session.
Treatment results will typically last up to (1-1½) years after the first treatment session in most patients. Touch-up treatments may be needed to maintain the desired effect.
Platelet counts are important for optimum results in treatment with Platelet Rich Plasma.
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is a concentration of human platelets (PLT) in a small volume of plasma. PRP utilizes the patients own (autologous) PLT, derived from his/her blood.
Why is there excitement about PRP?
PRP usage takes advantage of normal the body´s healing pathways, only at an accelerated rate. During wound healing, many cells rush into the wound site. Among these cells, there are platelets (PLT).
What does PLT do at the injection site?
- Form blood clots (“PLT gel”).
- Release Growth Factors and proteins (see below).
- Stimulate Stem Cells to regenerate new tissue.
- Accelerate bone healing through Osteo-progenitor cells.
PLT must be intact, in order not to damage these processes!!!
- PLT clotting occurs within 10 min after PLT de-granulation, thus anticoagulant in included within the PRP kit.
- The process of releasing growth factors (GF) from platelets is called de-granulation. During this process, the contents of the PLT -granules are being released by budding from PLT membranes and addition of side chains. Thus, PLT is required to be viable and intact.
- GF bind to Receptors of the cells that are being attracted to the wound.
- Initiation of production of collagen and cell proliferation – Chemoattractant activity – attract Mesenchymal stem cells to the wound.
- Acceleration of normal wound healing process.
Growth Factors and proteins released by PLT:
- Cells replication
- Stem cells differentiation
- Angiogenesis – vascularisation
- Chemo-attraction of Macrophages, fibroblasts
- Induction of connective tissue formation
- Wound healing
- Induction of cell differentiation
- Platelet Dysfunction Syndrome
- Critical Thrombocytopenia
- Haemodynamic Instability
- Acute & Chronic Infections
- Chronic Liver Pathology
- Anti-coagulation Therapy
- Subcision technique (acne scars)
- Layer-specific transplant
- “Tenting” of skin
- “Cul-de-sac” & needle bevel up
- Over-correction 50%
- Avoid “under-dosing”
- Serial Rx’s = accumulative effect
- 8. Minimal-trauma technique (long needle)
- Intra-dermal injection = blanching
According to dozens of injections performed in the UK and Japan, 2-3 consecutive injections, performed within intervals of 1-3 months, will hold the skin rejuvenation effect for a minimum period of 12 months, as described in the seen in the scheme below.
- Promotes autologous local tissue growth and repair.
- The only filler that can regenerate wrinkles under the eyes.
- Patient’s safety – PRP is made out of patient’s own blood:
- No disease transmission.
- PRP is non-toxic
- No rejection with PRP
- Convenience – PRP is prepared at doctor´s office.
- Faster healing – PRP accelerates tissue synthesis
- Cost-effectiveness – No need for external substances.
- IT is simple and easy to use.
- It is re-absorbed by the body in a few days.
Other Resources You Like To Read: